Security and Confidentiality
We understand the value of your personal information and therefore will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Your personal information is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards and firewalls to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information.
We recognise the need for appropriate protection and management of the personal information you share with us. We protect that information using secure socket layer (SSL) encryption technology and by limiting employee access on a need-to-know basis. We store data in encrypted form on computers and control access via secure web pages. We employ firewalls and other security technologies to protect our servers from external attack.
Our security systems meet or exceed industry standards and we are constantly monitoring internet developments to ensure our systems evolve as required. We also test our systems regularly to make sure our security mechanisms are up to date.
Finally, we are subject to South African data protection laws, including the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa 1996, Protection of Personal Information Act 2013, the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2002, the Regulation of Interception of Communication Act 2002, the National Credit Act 2005 read with the National Credit Amendment Act 2014 and the Consumer Protection Act 2008 which we comply with fully and give the greatest respect.
Personal information is information that identifies or relates specifically to you including your financial information, for example, your name, age and identity number, your assets and liabilities, your income and your payment records. In short, any information that we know about you will be regarded as your personal information.
Collecting your data
We collect information about you in two ways – directly from your online application and also from outside sources such as credit bureaux and customer service providers. We may use data that identifies your personal information for a number of things including: statistical analysis; to develop and improve our products; to assess lending risks; to update your records; to identify which of our products, or our partners’ products which might interest you; to identify and prevent fraud, money laundering and other criminal activities; to carry out regulatory checks, keeping you informed about your loan, and for market research; and in the products and services which we offer on behalf of third parties.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
In order to make your use of this loan product and electronic service offered by Loan 24 as successful as possible, it is necessary for us to find out exactly what you need and want from us and to ascertain whether in terms of the provisions of the National Credit Act you are eligible to get a loan. The following are some of the reasons why we would collect your personal information:
- to identify you;
- in order for us to process your instructions or requests;
- in order for us to ensure that you meet our lending criteria, we may collect and analyse your personal information and combine all the information that we have about you to compile a credit profile of you in order for us to grant you a loan and to meet your specific needs;
- once we have collected and analysed your personal information, we may send you promotional material or details which we think may be of interest to you but will only do so with your permission. If any of this promotional information relates to products, promotions, news or services of a third party, and if you indicate that you would like more details, we may inform the third party to contact you directly. We will however, only inform a third party to contact you directly if you have indicated that this is agreeable to you.
Additional data collection
In addition to the personal information you submit, we may collect information about your computer including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type – for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertising partners which allow Us to have a better understanding of Our customer requirements and/or preferences by using cookies to track users as they travel from website to website recording what commercial advertisements they view and select while browsing.
This is statistical data about browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual. We may also obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies enable us to improve our service to you, estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences and recognise you when you return to our site.
We want to provide you with the best possible service, so calls to Loan 24 will be recorded and/or monitored for quality checks and staff training. Recordings may also be used to help us combat fraud.
Sharing your data for service provision
By clicking the “I Accept” box, beneath the loan agreement and direct debit mandate you hereby agree that we may disclose your personal information:
- In the event we sell or buy any business or assets (in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such a business or assets)
- If our business or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party (in which case personal information held about customers will be one of the transferred assets)
- If we have a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with a legal request, or in order to enforce any of our terms and conditions
Because we work with some carefully selected partners outside of South Africa – in order to offer you our loans service – we may also need to transfer your personal information abroad. If and whenever this is the case, we will ensure the information is held securely to standards as least as good as those in South Africa and is only used for the purposes set out in this policy.
Right to request access to your personal information
As aforementioned, we are committed to the protection of your personal information and any information disclosed to third parties is only done so with our knowledge and express authorisation. You are entitled to request access to your information at a prescribed fee and to request that inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, outdated, misleading or unlawfully obtained information be corrected, deleted or in the case of a dispute, indicate that a correction has been requested, but not made.
Electronic Communications and Transactions Act
We also voluntarily subscribe to the principles, outlined in Section 51 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 2002 (‘ECT Act’), which govern your right to having your personal information kept private. We briefly outline these principles below:
- We hereby disclose in writing, the specific purpose for which we use, request and store your personal information. We will also keep a record of that personal information and the specific purpose for which we have used it.
- We will not use your personal information for any purpose, other than that which we disclosed to you herein, unless you give us your express written permission to do so, or unless we are permitted/required to do so by law.
Further to the requirements of the ECT Act; we will disclose your personal information without your consent:
- If we are required to do so by law or a court order;
- If disclosure is in the public interest;
- If disclosure is in Loan 24’s interest;
- With your implied consent.
In terms of the Consumer Protection Act and section 45 of the ECT Act, you understand that you have the option to opt out of any mailing list maintained by Loan 24 for commercial and marketing communications (see the next paragraph for more information on how to opt out).
Contact from Loan 24 and third parties
As part of the application process, we ask you whether we or any of our partners may contact you about our products and services by telephone, post, email and SMS (or other reasonable method). If you ticked “yes” but no longer wish to receive such communications, please visit the My Account page, login and change your communication preference at any time, or follow the instructions in the message itself.
We may transfer your personal information to selected third parties (see “Selling and disclosing your data to third parties” above). If at any time you wish to stop receiving such contact from a third party, you will need to follow the instructions about unsubscribing provided at that time by the third party. Please note that we only partner with trusted companies who will respect your right to unsubscribe from any such marketing communications, but we will not be responsible for managing that process or any disputes.
Third party links
To register with us you must be 18-years of age or older. Minors are strictly forbidden from using the service.
Which laws apply?
Who to Contact?
Should you have any queries, please contact us, Loan 24, on email@example.com